Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Changed for the better

Becoming a mother has changed me — and I don't mean in the obvious ways, such as devoting most waking moments to caring for my child, or learning to live on less sleep or feeling guilty about continuing to have a career.

I wake up with a purpose each morning.
I don't cringe at other people's children.
I cry at the slightest hint of sappiness.
Picking someone else's nose doesn't gross me out.
Running at least four days a week is an accomplishment.
I finally get the oh-so-popular/annoying phrase, "You'll understand someday when you have children of your own."
I'm generally happier and content with my life.

(With that said, I'd be even happier if I were to find a job from which I could work at home... Anyone know of any open telecommutable writing/journalism jobs paying more than $20,000?)

So, anyway, welcome to my mommy blog. I've been meaning to start one for oh, about the past four and a half months — which makes Z about that old now.

Here are some of Z's recent life accomplishments:
1) He started eating solid food about a week ago. So far, he has mastered rice and oatmeal cereal. Next will be orange/yellow vegetables.
2) Because of his new solid food intake, he has at least one, sometimes two, explosive/horrendous-smelling diapers each day on top of the moderately soiled ones.
3) He can roll over from his tummy to his back.
4) He can sit up unassisted for a little bit longer.
5) He giggles (mostly at his daddy.)
6) He has started noticing/paying attention to the cats.
7) His bath tub is almost too small ... and he's nearing the weight/length limit for his car seat.
8) Although it varies from day to day, he sleeps pretty well at night. Sometimes he's not up at all. Sometimes he's up a few times.
9) Straining his neck to look at everything in the room has taken precedence over nursing or drinking his bottle.
10) He has started to put his arms up in the air when you walk close to him and he wants picked up.
11) He is starting to get curious about his feet.

In closing, here's a pretty recent photo of Z having fun in his excer-saucer that he got from my mom for Christmas. Such a happy boy.

1 comment:

  1. I've been patiently waiting for you to start a Zachary blog!!!! I can feel less guilty about Facebook stalking your page for new photos. I'm so happy for you, Michelle. You are a wonderful friend and a nurturing mother. Your eyes just light up when you're around Zach. It warms my heart to see you living life to the fullest and enjoying every moment with your precious baby boy.

    ReplyDelete