Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One year of breastfeeding

Z will have exited my body one year ago in exactly one week.

In addition to it being his birthday, next Wednesday also marks one year of feeding him with my boobs.

If you would have asked me within the first two weeks of trying to figure out breastfeeding, I would have laughed (and probably cried) at the notion of my being able to continue nursing for so long.

Yes, breastfeeding is the natural and optimal way to feed your baby, blah, blah, blah -- but it doesn't necessarily come naturally. It took us both several weeks to be able to latch efficiently and correctly, and for me to figure out that blasted breast pump.

Being bottle-fed, myself, as an infant, I couldn't exactly turn to my own mother for help and guidance. (I mean, you just stick your boob in the kid's mouth and that's it, right? Yeah, not exactly...)

On and off throughout this past year, I've had some issues with milk supply and concerns with all of the different medicines I've been taking for my Ulcerative Colitis. But after many phone calls to the certified lactation consultant (who mostly contradicted what other doctors told me about medicines), I ultimately found some way to continue.

With that said, I guess I'd like to dedicate this blog post to patting myself and other breastfeeding moms on the back for continuing to offer the best nutrients we can for our babes. Yes, it takes a lot more time and effort than bottle feeding. Yes, it's a lot harder when you also work full time. Yes, you feel like a prisoner during the first few months because baby is on the boob around the clock.

But I'm so glad/proud that I've been able to breastfeed for at least one year.

I'm not exactly sure when Z will be done with my boobs forever -- I know it will probably be before the 4-year-old kid who was on the cover of Time Magazine.

For now, we both still benefit from nursing, and so we will continue.

(For more information about the benefits of breastfeeding, click here.)

2 comments:

  1. Love this! You know I'm all for the natural parenting methods and I'm still nursing Wyatt at almost 14 months! Even though he still has a midnight feeding and I waken most mornings a little groggy from it.... seeing him so healthy is worth it :) Congrats to you two! Maybe we'll be commenting on nursing still this time next year lol

    And Happy Birthday to the little babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) Power to the boobs!

    ReplyDelete